Masterful Main Dishes
- 1 cup dried Stoneridge Orchards Montmorency cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced crystallized ginger
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon course ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a small saucepan, combine the cherries, shallot, ginger, vinegar, water and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over moderate heat until the liquid is absorbed and the fruit is softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the dry mustard, course mustard and butter.
- Simmer until the mostarda is jamlike, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Serve the mostarda warm or at room temperature.
- The cherry mostarda can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- Serve the mostarda alongside charcuterie or cheese, or spread on a sandwich.
- The mostarda is also delicious with grilled chicken, steak, pork, lamb and sausages.